Welcome to Richmond Camera Club
Whilst we are unable to match the long heritage of our beautiful market town, Richmond Camera Club is long established and noted for its friendly welcoming attitude to members and visitors alike.
We meet each Tuesday evening at 7.15pm from September through to April and offer a wide selection of activities including internal and external competitions where members new and old, experienced and beginner can challenge for numerous club trophies at the end of each season.
Most weeks our members enjoy presentations and informative lectures demonstrating the best of photography and photographic techniques by talented lecturers who are chosen to entertain and educate the membership.
For new members starting out, or experienced photographers looking to hone their skills, members are available to assist, mentor and encourage those who wish to enter club or external competitions or those who are looking to attempt to achieve a qualification for their photography.
Membership costs just £45.00 for a season or try before you take out a membership by paying a £2.00 per evening visitor fee. Price includes lectures and tea and biscuits. ( Visitor fees deducted from annual membership if you decide to join us).
Jane Morris Abson
Joint committee venture
Trevor Lane and Chris George
Steven Kossowicz and Geoff Freeman
External Competition Secretary:
Jane Morris Abson
General Data Protection Regulations
...in line with the new requirements for data protection the Club's Data Protection Policy is available to download here.
A brief history of Richmond
Image by Henrietta Byrne LRPS DPAGB
The town of Richemont in Normandy (now in the Seine-Maritime département of the Upper Normandy region) was the origin of the placename Richmond. Richmond in North Yorkshire was the eponymous honour of the Earls of Richmond a dignity normally also held by the Duke of Brittany from 1136 to 1399.
Richmond was founded in 1071 by the Breton Alan Rufus, on lands granted to him by William the Conqueror. Richmond Castle, completed in 1086, had a keep and walls encompassing the area now known as the Market Place.
Richmond was part of the lands of the earldom of Richmond, which was intermittently held by the Dukes of Brittany until the 14th century. When John V, Duke of Brittany died in 1399 Henry IV took possession. In 1453, the earldom was conferred on Edmund Tudor, and was merged with the crown when Edmund's son Henry became king, as Henry VII in 1485.
During the English Civil War, the Covenanter Army led by David Leslie, Lord Newark, took over the castle and conflict between local Catholics and Scottish Presbyterians ensued.
The prosperity of the medieval town and centre of the Swaledale wool industry greatly increased in the late 17th and 18th centuries with the burgeoning lead mining industry in nearby Arkengarthdale. It is from this period that the town's Georgian architecture originates, the most notable examples of which are to be found on Newbiggin and in Frenchgate. One of Europe's first gas works was built in the town in 1830.
How to find us
You will find us at the Methodist Church Schoolroom, Dundas Street, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 7AB